Skip Navigation

Chocolate. Delicious for us, toxic for pets.

What is a favourite treat among people is toxic to pets.

When dogs ingest chocolate, the large amount of fat can cause pancreatitis, resulting in vomiting, diarrhoea and pain in their abdomen. This scenario can be serious or even deadly, due to severe metabolic changes. Chocolate also contains a lot of sugar which can also cause stomach upsets. However, it is the combination of caffeine and theobromine in chocolate that results in the common clinical signs seen in dogs after they have gorged themselves. These signs include vomiting, diarrhoea, panting, tremors, seizures, high heart rates, abnormal heart rhythm, coma and possibly death.

PetSure data 2013-18

Despite the increased awareness among pet owners, PetSure still sees a number of chocolate poisoning cases each year, particularly around the festive periods of Christmas and Easter, when the rate of chocolate toxicity climbs more than 200%.

In 2019 alone, PetSure data shows more than 1,850 cases of chocolate toxicity, resulting in almost $675,000 in vet expenses.

While chocolate is toxic for cats, they tend to be less curious than dogs and not eat chocolate on their own, so there are significantly fewer incidents.

Any advice is general only and may not be right for you. Cover is subject to the policy terms and conditions. You should consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement or policy wording available from the relevant provider to decide if a product is right for you. Insurance products are issued by The Hollard Insurance Company (ABN 78 090 584 473; AFSL 241436) and administered by PetSure (Australia) Pty Ltd (ABN 95 075 949 923; AFSL 420183) through our Authorised Representatives and our distribution partners.